I have been paying child support, my child just turned 18, now what?

Tennessee Child Support Attorneys - Gordon Law Group, PLC

Tennessee Child Support Attorneys - Gordon Law Group, PLC

In the past several months I have had several phone calls and inquiries about what to do when your child turns 18. In most cases a child support obligation terminates when the child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school. However, there are some exceptions to this, including but not limited to, the agreement of the mother and father, disability of the child, health concerns of the child, etc.

What happens when it is time to stop paying? If you are paying directly to the other spouse, you may simply be able to stop paying. However, if you are paying through the state child support office a Motion to Terminate Child Support is necessary. In either case, it is the best course of action to simply file a motion to terminate child support. This way, there will be no surprises later on down the road.

If you have questions regarding your child support obligations or need assistance in terminating your child support, contact an experienced Tennessee Child Support Attorney.

Share Your Thoughts

Spam protection by WP Captcha-Free