Get on the path to results today - call (615) 933-2435 to get started now.

Deeper Understanding. Better Solutions.

Supplemental Needs Trust Attorneys in Nashville

Protecting the Best Interests of Tennessee Families: (615) 933-2435

Protecting Those with Disabilities or Special Needs

Family members with special needs and/or disabilities are eligible to receive estate planning benefits through specific supplemental needs trusts (special needs trust). This type of estate planning protects your assets for their intended recipient, without disqualifying them from any state or federal benefit programs. With this specific trust, recipients can use the proceeds to purchase luxuries that they would not otherwise receive under state/federal programs.

In the past, families would disinherit disabled family members and leave assets to an individual who agreed to take care of the assets and family member. If assets were left to a disabled beneficiary, it often disqualified  them from state or federal programs under which they were receiving benefits.

Fortunately, in 1993 Congress enacted new laws that entitled disabled individuals to receive the same estate planning benefits as non-disabled individuals without affecting their eligibility for state or federal benefits. These  laws made it possible to establish supplemental needs trusts for your loved ones, without affecting their state or federal benefits.

Creating a Supplemental Needs Trust

A supplemental needs trust (special needs trust) can be created by an individual with their own funds or be created by someone other than the disabled individual, typically a parent or relative.

There are different rights and restrictions to each of these trusts, but both ensure immediate qualification for federal and state benefits (i.e. Medicaid) and provide luxuries to the disabled beneficiary they otherwise, most likely, would be unable to have. 

When Do I Need Guardianship for My Special Needs Child?

As a parent of a special needs or disabled child, you are the child’s “natural guardian” and can make all decisions regarding the child until their turn eighteen. However, your rights as guardian do not allow you to have access or control of your child’s assets (i.e., proceeds from a lawsuit or gifts from a family member). Once your child reaches the age of eighteen, you lose your rights as the natural guardian to make healthcare and life decisions for them.

To maintain these guardianship rights, you must commence a guardianship proceeding or the State will assume legal authority over your disabled loved one. To avoid losing your authority, you should contact a qualified attorney to begin a guardianship proceeding at least six months prior to your child’s 18th birthday.

Why Call Our Nashville Supplemental Trusts Lawyers?

  • Backed by 65+ Years of Combined Experience
  • A Reputation for Client-Centered Service
  • Aggressive Advocacy in Thousands of Cases
  • Proven History of Results Since 1990

Call (615) 933-2435 to schedule a free consultation at Gordon Law Group, PLC and let us guide you. 

Contact Gordon Law Group for Tailored Legal Solutions

Our Nashville family lawyers are passionate about achieving results for our clients. We want to help you through whatever you are facing and provide you with the resources and tools necessary to overcome any obstacles you face.

Contact Gordon Law Group at (615) 933-2435 today to schedule an initial consultation.

Your Solution Starts with Gordon Law Group

Experienced Counsel

We possess over 65 years of experience in multiple fields of law

Aggressive Advocacy

We have a strong track record of utilizing the law to help our clients.

Ethical Practices

We strive to provide honest & sincere representation to each client.

Client Focused Firm

We believe that clear & candid communication with our clients is key.

Contact Us

Call (615) 933-2435 to schedule a confidential consultation today.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Gordon Law Group

Nashville Office:

(615) 933-2435

49 Music Square West

Suite 505  Nashville, TN  37203  

Map & Directions [+] 

South Carolina Office:

(864) 920-2796

330 E. Coffee St.

Greenville, SC 29601

Map & Directions [+] 

Gordon Law Group

49 Music Square West, Nashville, Tennessee 37203, United States

Tel (615) 933-2435 Fax (615) 321-9099